Packing Things Right: How to Prepare Your Home or Business Belongings for StoragePosted on 12 July, 2017 in
Moving your home or business, your family and all your belongings is stressful enough, but the biggest challenge comes with all the stuff that must go with you. Over the years, as you get married, have children and move a few times, you accumulate an abundance of possessions that you must carefully pack and transport, and then unpack again when you move.
When it comes time to consider how to pack everything and where to put it, the task at hand can become quite overwhelming. You don't want to get rid of any belongings, but there is just so much stuff. You want to preserve your child's baby photos and the chest your grandmother gave you for your wedding present, but you are not sure how to do it.
Packing might not seem hard in theory, aside from the fact there is so much of it to do, but there is a right and a wrong way to prepare things to keep them in top notch shape. While proper packing will help preserve your items, it does not cut back on the amount of stuff you have. Storing items when you move can simplify your move and even save you money. There are plenty of things you won't need right away, why stress about renting a trailer just to bring those last few things right now?
Tips for Your Next Big Move
Whether it is a job relocation, upgrading or downsizing, at some point in your life, there comes a time where you need to move.
Here are a few moving tips, tools and information for storage for when it comes time for your next big move:
- Use quality packing materials. It might cost you money upfront, but it is worth the investment. When you pull your items out of the moving truck or storage container and they are all intact, you will be glad you used proper packing material. Thick bubble wrap is a great cushion and protector. Use bubble wrap to keep your fragile items from breaking and to keep items from rubbing together in the box, causing scratches and other various damage.
- Organise your boxes. Try to pack similar items in the same boxes. It is smart to pack one room at a time, so when you need something, you can simply grab the few boxes for that room and everything should be right there.
- Label your boxes. When it comes times to take them out, you want to know where everything is. Searching for those baby pictures can be awfully difficult if you have a storage room filled from floor to ceiling with blank boxes. This will also cut down on damage; label the boxes with fragile items as "fragile," so everyone is extra careful when transporting them.
- Don't box up your clothes. If clothes remain folded up in a small space for too long, mould can form. Hang your clothes and store them in a wardrobe box. The wardrobe box will allow for proper ventilation and prevent wrinkles. If you plan to store a few more expensive garments, store them in a suitable protective cover, too. Place some kind of insect repellent in the wardrobe box to prevent insect damage.
- Ask for help from a professional. The task of moving and preparing for storage is much easier when a professional helps. There are experienced professionals who will pack your entire house and label your items for you. They are frequently trained on proper packing and labeling practices. A professional will save you time and stress during the big move.
Your belongings are important, some of them, irreplaceable. Take your time, do your research, invest in proper packing materials and ask for help when it comes time to make a big move. Proper preparation, packing and storing will save you time, stress and money.